Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I am reading the book Unchristian by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. I bought the book for Brooke for valentines. She hasn't read it yet.. school will do that to you! We had heard about it from my brother. I challenge you to read it, and look at yourself to see how unchristian you may be coming across to those around you. I want to share just a bit from page 182/183.
"To be judgmental is to point out something that is wrong in someone else's life, making the person feel put down, excluded and marginalized. Some part of their potential to be Christ followers is snuffed out. Being judgmental is fueled by self righteousness, the misguided inner motivation to make our life look better by comparing it to the lives of others.
Unfortunately Christians in our culture have become identified with this perception. Nearly 9 out of 10 (87%) young outsiders said the term judgmental accurately describes present day Christianity. This was one of the big 3 --the most widely held negative perceptions of Christians (along with anti homosexual and hypocritical). Just to put this in practical terms, when you introduce yourself to a twentysomething neighbor, and you mention your faith, chances are he or she will think of you as judgmental.
We have also discovered that our better than thou attitudes are apparent to young church goers. Most Christian young people told our interviewers that our faith seems to focus on other peoples faults. More than half the young Christians ages 16-29 (53%) said they believe that the label judgmental accurately fits present-day Christianity" ----OUCH!!!

We are all just sinners saved by grace. Lets show grace and love to others so that they too may want to become Christ followers.
Dear Lord --may the reflection of Christ others see in me be full of grace and love-- not judgmental and hypocritical. AMEN


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH for sure! Sounds like a great book.

I regularly read a number of atheists' blogs to try to wrap my brain around how Christians appear to nonchristians. It's sad to read many of the things that are written there. Even sadder when I see "myself" in their words.

I have learned much about how to be a Christian and at the same time not compromise who Christ is.

I thank God he is so forgiving...I still have so much yet to learn.

Julie said...

It is a good book it is from the Barna group so lots of statistics which blow my mind. We Christians are blowing it, and many "Christians" wouldn't have it any other way.

Reminds me of a co worker who told me after Shaun was killed that if I had been "right" with the Lord this would not have happened. (She is even a pastor!) Or my mom, who is being sued by her late husbands adult children, because he changed his will and gave his estate to the church and not them, long story, but anyway, now this past week the sons wife was killed in a car accident. We as moms family are seeking the Lord in the Christian way to respond to this, after they have treated us so rotten.

I pray that my life is a reflection of the real love of Jesus. --Not the love of ME!

Julie said...

It is a good book it is from the Barna group so lots of statistics which blow my mind. We Christians are blowing it, and many "Christians" wouldn't have it any other way.

Reminds me of a co worker who told me after Shaun was killed that if I had been "right" with the Lord this would not have happened. (She is even a pastor!) Or my mom, who is being sued by her late husbands adult children, because he changed his will and gave his estate to the church and not them, long story, but anyway, now this past week the sons wife was killed in a car accident. We as moms family are seeking the Lord in the Christian way to respond to this, after they have treated us so rotten.

I pray that my life is a reflection of the real love of Jesus. --Not the love of ME!

Brooke said...

"She hasn't read it yet.. school will do that to you!"
School does a lot to ya, but be glad I am not reading the book right now because if i was i would be taking it to school and reading it during my block as a student aid. I REALLY would liek to read the book, so I you'd better have it finished by June 2 when I leave for camp luz.