Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Be thankful people are not like dogs--I do LOVE my dog

Well I haven't posted in a while and here I am at work --still-- working at a grain elevator during harvest means long hours. I can't complain because I work less hours here than anyone else employed here during the harvest season.(I am the only part time employee) I have had more then 40 hours in here for over a month, plus I work 2 days at the restaurant. Needless to say I am tired of working 6 days a week. Tomorrow is my day at the Barn and I am looking forward to not arriving at work until 10:30. Working here 8am-7pm is getting old. I know Dave and Brooke are getting tired of hearing me complain too-- So off to more important things.

Our church did an event called Heros Unmasked on October 31. Dave and I were a part of the team that helped to pull this event off. (we were in charge of the games) It was a lot of work, and a lot of fun too. Instead of having simply a fall harvest party. We had Heros from the Bible at our event. (My very special daughter Brooke came as Queen Esther, She did a great job too talking to the kids and telling them her story --read Esther to find it out if you do not know it!!) We also had David, Moses, Elijah, Noah, and of course the ultimate hero JESUS. We had several games, if you use your imagination you could relate to our Bible hero. Like hurling marshmallows at Goliath, playing a game similar to broom ball called Moses red sea sweep. Queen Esthers crown decotating, Guessing the number of animal crackers in a container-- you guessed it Noahs cookie count. I can't forget Elijahs flaming chicken race, as well as the secret of the empty cave- Jesus arose!! Plus many others. We got all of these ideas from GROUP resources. It was a lot of work, but we feel it was also a success. I don't know if any one came to Christ, but one of the leaders received a call from a mom saying her daughter is looking up and reading about the heros in her Bible. (The Heros each handed out a card like a baseball card, with info about them and the scripture on it) We had many kids who came who do not attend church.

I guess Dave and I do miss working with the JYF (Jr Hi) kids after doing it for 12 years, This was a nice way to get involved again, but with my job, it added to the stress involved this time of year.

We are planning on going to see our son Caleb at Hesston College in Kansas over Thanksgiving I am excited.(Moms love to see ther kids!!) Brooke is not going to go with us :-( She is going to be going east instead of west to spend the weekend with a very special young man and his family. I still do not know what we are going to do with Jasmine our boxer while we are gone. Jessica and her husband Jeremy usually keep her for us, they are thinking about going to Washington DC. I asked a young man from church, but now he is thinking about going to Hesston with us!!

With thanksgiving just a couple weeks away I want to leave you with this tidbit.(Someone shared it with me a couple years after Shaun's death) When everything seems to suck and your life seems to make no sense, and you are having a hard time feeling thankful for anything - You can always be thankful that we do not say hello--like dogs do, smelling each others butts!! Thank you God for your wisdom!!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

yeap, I am glad I am not a dog.

Kyle said...

you don't say hello like that? I thought everybody did! Now I'm embarrassed.

Brooke said...

mom write another blog, I am bored and want to read somthing

Julie said...

try your homework