Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Power of prayer

Praying for someone and not telling them is like clapping with one hand. I used to have that saying on our refrigerator. I really do not know what happened to it. But I do agree with it.

I remember when Shaun was killed and I was not capable of praying (I know that sounds strange to some of you and I hope you never have to go through a time like that) many people shared that they were praying for us. I knew that, I could feel it, that is why we survived that awful experience, because of the prayers of others... thank you. I remember a women telling me I would know when people stopped praying. (she has 2 children awaiting her arrival in heaven) I don't remember when that happened but I do know it did. Even thought I know people pray for me now I do not feel it like I did then

I have just finished reading the book 90 minutes in heaven by Don Piper. WOW what an amazing life he has had. Not an easy life, by any means though. He was dead for 90 minutes after a car accident, a preacher was stopped in the traffic from the accident and was lead by God to pray for Don even though he was already dead-- The preacher even felt for a pulse and there was none. But he obeyed Gods prompting and spent time praying like never before, singing and praying. Then it happened as Don was about to walk through the gates of heaven, he was a part of the singing in heaven and the next thing he knew he was singing what a Friend we have in Jesus with the pastor who had been praying for him.. WOW, I had to reread that part of the book a couple times because it is so awesome. You should at least try to read the first 50 or so pages of that book. I was imagining Shauns (and mine) welcome to that HOLY place.

I know that I tell people that I pray for them a lot. Because I know what it means to me to KNOW people are praying for me. SO when I tell you that I am praying for you. KNOW that it it happening!!

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

Jo­seph M. Scriv­en, 1855. Scriv­en wrote this hymn to com­fort his mo­ther, who was across the sea from him in Ire­land. It was orig­in­al­ly pub­lished anon­y­mous­ly, and Scriv­en did not re­ceive full cred­it for al­most 30 years

Clap with both hand

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

My family also survived, well IS surviving to be more precise, the loss of one who seems to have left us way too soon. We have rested on, and are making it through on, the prayers of others. I know that, because we felt it almost as a physical presence. Like a million hands holding us up to the heavens.

And, so that you know, whenever I read Shaun's name in your blog, I say a brief prayer for you and your family.

Two hands clapping.

Had my (best friend and) sister-in-law not died, I would not have ended up in Zambia and would not have met your Brooke. In that I did, I am blessed...

Julie said...

Mama Lou,
Thanks for sharing. I will be praying for you and your family! How did the death result in your time in Zambia?
There have been some positives from Shauns death, But i am not yet to the place where I can say that the possitives were worth all the pain. Maybe someday.
I knwo you are special to Brooke!!

Brooke said...

Hey mom You said it again. I am the queen 8that is 2 times)

Julie said...

MY BAD.
You are the princess, you have to be married to be the queen!!! I will try to rememeber that the next time you do or say something that I want to respond with "you are the queen" (that is what I call many of my co-workers at the barn. The queen is allowed a few minor mistakes you know please forgive her--
The real Queen!!

Brooke said...

psh, I am the queen and you know it. I don't have to be married to rule, look at the feminists all around the world.

Anonymous said...

How my sister-in-law's death led to my leading a team to Zambia is a complicated story! Probably too long to leave in a comment. I'll nutshell it. I met Connie on TMI when I was 17. She became my best friend, then married my bro. She passed at the time God had led me to leave Los Angeles and move to CO. I wasn't sure what He had in store for me, but I made the move in faith. My family decided to start a rescue unit in her name, so TMI came back into my brain full force. I looked into leading a team. I was reassigned three times before ending up on Zambia Foot Washing. Shortly before leaving for the team I learned that her unit was to be in Zambia. I still miss her horribly. She was my favorite thing in life. I wish she was still here. But God has been so gracious and generous to me in the midst of my sadness. I never thought I could lead a team, but I figured if I could survive losing her, that with God's help I could do whatever He asks, even if it seems impossible.

Thanks for your prayers. My brother is still in the deepest of grief and is struggling every day to live without her.

Julie said...

It is amazing how God can use the worst experiences in our lives for HIS glory. Although knowing from my grief experience it doesn't matter how much good is coming out of the situation when you are hurting. Even the good is too much of a price to pay when it is someone you love. I know that seems selfish, but that is the way that it is. I will continue to remember your family in prayer as you continue to grieve.